We are actively hiring for an Assistant Director of Nursing (ADON) to join the team of an excellent employer based in County Wexford.
All candidates MUST be NMBI PIN Holders, currently reside and are eligible to work in Ireland and have previous experience working within a residential home.
This position will be reporting to the Director of Nursing.
The Purpose of this Post:
The Assistant Director of Nursing will work with the Director of Nursing to ensure that the highest standards of nursing care are delivered to residents and support and promote the creation of a homely environment where the quality of life of our residents is the key focus. This includes managing the homes environment with the Director of Nursing to ensure that it is conducive to meeting the physical, psychological, spiritual and social needs of our residents.
The Principal Duties and Responsibilities Of This Role
The Assistant Director of Nursing will ensure:
General Care, Quality & Standards
- Responsible for supporting the DON to ensure all policies, procedures and guidelines are implemented and in practice at all levels of staff throughout the care home.
- In conjunction with the DON, responsible for providing support and strategic and clinical leadership and direction for nursing and related services which results in the delivery of effective, efficient, quality assured and resident centred nursing care.
- In conjunction with the DON, responsible for all clinical documentation within the care home and ensuring EpicCare is always up to date.
- Performing spot checks and internal audit of documentation in the homes with follow up and action plans arising.
- Supporting the DON to drive an environment of continuous improvement and best practice in the home.
- Be sufficiently knowledgeable in all aspects of the operation of the home, including detailed knowledge of all residents, to respond to or meet with HIQA representatives in the absence of the DON.
- Have a detailed knowledge of notification forms that are to be submitted to HIQA in various circumstances, and the time associated with their submission.
- Responsible for reviewing and monitoring any complaints and incidents in the homes and preparing and completing all action plans.
- In the absence of the Director of Nursing, will undertake the role and responsibilities of the Person-in-Charge in line with the Health Act 2007, related regulations and HIQA standards.
- Ensure that overall standards of hygiene and food safety are maintained at the highest level possible.
- Participate in clinical management within the home in consultation with the DON including providing care to residents, communicating with residents/families/representatives, managing staff, monitoring performance and standards, developing policies and procedures, and delivering training.
- Coordinate the quality and safety system including all aspects of clinical risk management and resident involvement.
- Participate in coaching and appraisal of staff on a regular basis.
- In consultation with HR, participate in grievance and disciplinary activities
- Coordinate, roster and manage staff in conjunction with the senior management team in the Home.
- Lead by example a professional, punctual and dedicated team.
- Participate in the development of policies and standards for the organisation.
- Responsible for working to ensure that the quality of life goal is met for all residents.
- Responsible for ensuring that all nursing care is individualised and holistic to meet each residents needs and to manage the ongoing review and assessment of this care.
- Responsible for having a clear and detailed knowledge of our staff handbook and all its policies and procedures.
- Responsible for dealing with any local HR issues arising with the support of HR as necessary and ensuring all documentation/correspondence etc is maintained in this regard.
- Responsible for working with the DON to create a trusting relationship and a harmonious environment in the home between residents, relatives and employees.
- Responsible for working with the DON to motivate employees through leadership, communication, empowerment, appropriate delegation and work allocation and by example.
- Responsible for attendance at/participation in relevant INO forums and ensuring that we leverage all INO courses for the benefit of our nurses.
- In conjunction with the DON, responsible for the assessment of the effectiveness of all training conducted staff within the home and feedback to the Director of Care, Quality and Standards.
- Responsible for the ongoing updating of training needs based on current regulations and requirements and also arising from any gaps identified within the homes.
Health & Safety
- Responsible for having a clear and detailed understanding of all policies relating to Health Safety in the home.
- Responsible for ensuring that all employees are aware of the policies in the home and that these policies are adhered to always.
- Responsible for ensuring the highest standards of hygiene, cleanliness and tidiness in the home at all times.
Confidentiality & Discretion
- It is a condition of employment that the ADON will not disclose any information obtained during the course of work other than to those entitled to receive it.
- Adherence to organisations Code of Confidentiality ensures that personal data remains secure.
- The care home holds confidentiality as a core value where staff/residents/ visitors and other health care professionals can openly discuss issues within a protective and supportive environment.
- Work with all stakeholders/partners/suppliers in the facility to ensure the Quality of Life goal for all Residents are met.
Education, Training and Development:
- The ADON must maintain personal professional development retaining clinical experience and updating clinical knowledge by assuming responsibility for own learning and developmental needs.
- To assume responsibility for their own learning and development needs with evidence of commitment to on-going professional development.
- Maintain updated knowledge through care literature, recent nursing research, and new developments in nursing management and education, practice and advice staff on necessary changes.
- To foster good working relationships between colleagues and other staff by maintaining a high professional standard.
- To demonstrate behaviour consistent with the Code of Professional Conduct.
The above is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the CNM may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post, which may be assigned from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in same.
Role in the Business Process
- Proactively identifies business opportunities and issues, and takes decisive action.
- Implements strategic opportunities, with the urgency needed to create momentum.
- Encourages and reinforces action taking and decisiveness in others.
- Understands residents, proactively gathering information to learn about their needs and expectations.
- Builds ongoing relationships with residents.
- Sets residents expectations appropriately.
Drive for Results:
- Defines all assignments and work problems in terms of results to be achieved.
- Works constantly to find the most effective way to achieve intended results.
- Works efficiently and diligently on the task at hand, putting in whatever time and effort is needed to do an excellent job.
- Recognises quickly when progress toward results is slowing or stalling and takes immediate action to get back on track.
- Accepts difficult goals or assignments and gets right to work.
- Perseveres in drive for results even when faced with difficulties and setbacks.
Building Team Spirit:
- Motivates team members and pulls the team together to accomplish goals.
- Actively participates in the development of the team.
- Takes initiative to help other team members.
- Encourages team members to treat each other with respect.
- Is comfortable and effective in leading or following, depending on the task at hand and the needs of the team.
- Develops measurable goals and objectives with minimal guidance.
- Ensures direct reports have clear goals and objectives.
- Holds regular 1:1s with direct reports.
- Delegates work effectively, based on staff capabilities and workloads.
- Adjusts level of guidance/ monitoring to competence and motivation of staff.
- Delivers timely, objective feedback in ways that improve performance and support morale.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: €54,756.00 per year